Thursday 15 March 2012

FILMING DAY 5

This day was one of the most technical demanding days. To start off I had to go on the editing suite, Premier Pro and make the segment of music 250% faster than the original rate. I then exported this and copied to a memory stick to be played on the PC in the green screen room.

I got the lead ready. I gave her smokey eyes to capture her evil side in the video. I continued this dark theme throughout the full costume with the use of black lipstick. We couldn't get hold of any on the day so I improvised using black face paint mixed with petroleum jelly. This gave a sheen finish to the lips and ended up looking better than I had originally planned. She had black look leggings with a black bra and black netted over dress, which covered her to her ankles. I then added the black leather heels which the leggings where tucked into. Finally I added the black painted nails, which I made earlier (post can be found on Blog) by using eyelash glue. I shaped the nails around her finger scoring the centre to make them 3D, instead of the original flat looking nail.

I set up the music and lighting which would best suit the chroma keying later on. I set the camera on a fixed camera mount/tripod. I then grabbed a volunteer from nearby to help create wind to make her hair flow. This would look effective when the track is played in slow motion. We shot this section over 20 times in order to catch thew best shot where the lyrics sink the most as it proved difficult for the lead to sync so fast.

We had a short break where I scraped back her hair into a high pony tail. I placed the necklace i bought earlier on top of her head to create a tiara. This would frame the backed bun and add a sense of wealth and importance to the shot. I then back combed her hair and hair sprayed to add drama to the look and so that all the artist's face could be seen to the audience. This adding a range of views to thew artist which is a conventional idea throughout music videos of this genre.

Finally I filmed the rest of the shots with the same lighting and when I was happy with the overall outcome we finished for the day. This section would then be slowed back so the track was at the original rate speed. This makes the action appear s motion with her lips still synced to the music. Doing a practise shot of this really helped me find out the floors in this idea and make the finished piece as good as possible. I am happy with the overall outcome of this shot.
The last part of filming, and probably one of the easiest. This section provided no lip sync and was just purely the back up dancers and the choreography I put together. I worked with a lighting technician to produce the effect I was going for. The lighting provided a well lit stage with a slight red wash. I used back lighting to create a feeling of overwhelming hotness. This is to match the connotations of this section of the music as the lyrics are, "It's hot up in here..." I wanted to create a hot atmosphere which I think I did.

Whilst this was going on the girls got changed into their main outfit which they where used to doing by now. I went round the girls touching up, adding and changing elements until I was happy with the overall look. We rehearsed the dance in the space and went through particular timings that where difficult to perform.

I filmed this section all hand held to provide movement in the shots. Again I shot the dance section from a range of shots and angles, getting in between the girls and right into their faces, contrasting with long master shots. I also shot half the girls at one side and then the other side as well to create a divide in the group which provides different points of view for the audience.

THAT'S A WRAP!









At the end of the college day I booked a slot in the theatre for after hours and I met the girls
there.

No comments:

Post a Comment